Sunday, January 03, 2010

Bach Chaconne with Bouriakov

Dear Flutists,

Update 2020: Bouriakov's Chaconne is now in print for under $10 at Fluteworld.

From 2010:
A very warm and cheery "Happy New Year" to you all.
If you want practicing inspiration for today, do check out Denis Bouriakov performing the Bach Chaconne on youtube.
Part 1
Part 2

This is sheerly terriff!



I love the transcription, which is the artist's own, and I just love this piece of music. It's one of the few times when a solo violin Bach work actually WORKS!!
What a player!!
Happy listening.
And happy practice year to us all!
Jen
Comments (5)
Blogger Aubrie said...

Wow, he's a great player. I've added his website to my favorites. He has a lot of recordings on there including the Mozart in D.

Thanks for posting this!

Sunday, January 03, 2010 4:47:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So incredible! It's facinating to see how he holds his flute. More often I see the lower lip more centered at the edge of the tone hole. He gets such wonderfully clear sound!

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 7:57:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He sounds fantastic. Anyone know what kind of flute and headjoint he plays? Thanks!

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 10:50:00 PM

 
Blogger jen said...

He plays Altus 1701, I believe. Not sure about the headjoint:
http://www.altusflutes.com/altus_artist.aspx?id=34

Best, J.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Bruce Conway said...

Hi Jen,
I *really* appreciate your helpful comments and videos scattered about on various web pages. I also have a cat, but one which comes running across the road just to hear my high (earsplitting) D's and E's. (She also likes tenor sax at close range).

I like Denis's (ok Denis') playing and he does a lovely job on this piece.

Cheers,
(the inimitable) "jazzflutist" on YouTube

Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:25:00 PM

 

Post a Comment